Search This Blog

Monday, April 4, 2011

Album Highlight of the Week

Marsha Ambrosius "Late Nights & Early Mornings" rating: 8/10




It’s been about five very long years (2006) since RnB/Soul duo Floetry have put out their last music as a group., but on March 1st, 2011 fans were blessed with the release of Marsha Ambrosius’ solo album, “Late Nights & Early Mornings”. This long awaited album takes listeners on a journey through Marsha’s experiences with what she calls in an interview with the LA Times, “the growing pains of everything” in her personal life and in the music industry as a whole.  As one half of the highly acclaimed duo, Floetry, Ambrosius was reluctant to release a solo project for fears that it would not be as successful as the Floetry projects.

Her first single off of the album, “Hope She Cheats On You (With A Basketball Player)” peaked at number 22 on Billboards US R&B Chart and her second single “Far Away” currently rests in the number 8 spot on the same chart. Part of her success with this latest solo album endeavor can be attributed to her long songwriting history which includes writing “Butterflies” for Michael Jackson’s Invincible album back in 2001.

After listening to the album, I would say that it is a must have for any R&B/Soul fan. Although I feel that Marsha has taken the conservative route of R&B songwriting with this album, I still believe that it can go toe to toe with any of the albums that have been released within the last three years. Gone have been the days of music that came straight from the soul and spoke on issues that we go through all the time. “The Songstress” (As she was known in Floetry) has definitely broken the plane of top singers in the music industry with her solo album and I look forward to hearing future products from this seasoned veteran in the future.


1 comment:

  1. I really like the way this is set up. You can definitely get the idea that its not just about one specific genera, but the topics are related enough that there is definitely a theme. Its awesome that the links are interwoven with in the posts rather than just at the end. The links were also helpful (specifically) the ask men link. I had been looking for that because I had heard that one of my top 5s was on it and sure enough she was.(Shay Maria) One of the things I liked was the tone of the blog was very relate-able for me. Even though the topics were different it was very easy to tell that the same person was writing it. The only suggestion I would have is to maybe have a first post where it talks about what your blog is about in general. (If I missed it I'm sorry I didn't see it)

    ReplyDelete